Old 07-05-2003, 07:32 PM
J. Del Col

Default Cross pollination?

jammer j@mmer wrote in message . ..
Hi again..

I have 3 different kinds of rose bushes. Sorry, Oklahoma is the only
name i remember. I thought one was a Tropicana? Anyway, they started
out peach, dull pink, and red. Now they are about 6 shades. Thank
Goodness the bush retains it's original scent as they are all
different. And the color change doesn't annoy me, especially since i
have a brilliant deep pink one for the first time this week, but i am
just curious, is this the work of the bees and butterflies?

Cross pollination has nothing to do with it. It would only affect the
color of the plants grown from the seeds of the pollinated flower, not
the flower itself.

Some roses will produce "sports"i.e. different colored flowers on the
same
bush; these are either reversions or mutations caused by the unstable
genetic makeup of complex hybrids. They are not the result of cross
pollination.

As others have pointed out, growing conditions can also affect flower
color.

J. Del Col