Old 07-05-2003, 10:08 PM
blorefan

Default Landscape

"Elizabeth" wrote in message arthlink.net...
Hi,

After reading the whole thread here, I wanted to share my sympathy about
what happened. We have had some various things done to our property that add
up to probably the most money we've spent on anything, besides our cars and
house. We've had relatively good luck, but I usually get pretty anxious when
a lot of money is involved. After having had stone retaining walls, large
trees, a fence, deck, patio, sidewalk, and arbor put in over the past 4
years, and not really being able to wholeheartedly recommend any of the
people who did any of them (although overall I am pretty much satisfied with
the work), here are my 2 cents:

-- Get at least three estimates. This means you probably have to call 6-8
companies because a lot of them don't bother to show up.
-- Whenever possible, get a recommendation from someone you know who has
used them.
-- Do a lot of research about what you want and have magazine photos and/or
drawings ready when you get your estimates. If you sense that the company
can't or won't do it, do not pick them.
-- Ask them how they would do your project and wait for them to explain the
whole thing. Sometimes you can sniff out people who don't know what they are
doing that way, even if you don't know how to do it yourself.
-- Do not act casually about your project. Act as if it is really important.
People respond more attentively to a picky customer than a casual one. I
learned this from my picky neighbor.
-- Ask to see photos of their work or get addresses of references to visit.
-- Ask if they guarantee to finish the work by a certain date. Some jobs
seem to go on forever.
-- Get the estimate in writing and ask for a satisfaction guarantee.
-- For large projects, the company should obtain utility marking and permits
for you.
-- Do not hand over the final payment until you are completely satisfied. As
soon as you do, you may not hear from them again. Most people want a deposit
for materials, but you should hold back most of the money until the very
end. If they say they need it, just tell them you'll have it ready when they
come back to finish the last things you want done/fixed.

This all may sound cynical, but it's reality. Anyone have more to add?

Thanks for your suggestions Elizibeth. I did ask for refrences and
photos but did not have the time to follow up since my wife was due
with our first child. I know better now. The way to look at this is
he atleast showed up and planted the trees and bushes albeit poorly.
It was a $4000 lesson in haste is waste.
For your reference the name of the company is Gardenworks and the
owner is
Evan Blewett.

Thanks for your support.

"blorefan" wrote in message
om...
Hi!! Can anybody suggest a good landscape designer in the trianlge
area. I hired one from Apex recently and he ripped me off (paid close
to $4000). He was very knowledgeable with the plants native to this
area and promised low maintenance landscape so I hired him. He did a
very poor job. All the beds that he supposedly sprayed with weed
killer are sprouting already (the beds were planted on Apr 19,2003).
I would appreciate your help.

Thanks