Old 07-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Landscape

All right, folks, let's calm down now, okay? (And yes, I do realize the
irony of my being the one to say that!)

First of all, RP, weeds are a fact of life -- they can & will happen, so
that alone isn't enough reason to feel you've been ripped off.

Second (shoulda been first, I guess) -- did you make any attempt to
resolve this with the original landscaper?

Third, your mention of spending $4000 may have put some people off, as I'll
bet there are many newsgroup members who will never in their entire
gardening careers spend that much money.

Fourth, as for the Kleim's Gardenia, it may like some sun -- I'm not
entirely certain, as nearly all the references I found were for gardenias
growing in pots, so they may indeed need iron, but it's due to the tap water
they get.

Finally -- and I say this with all due respect, and a bit of [sorta]
personal experience -- it might be better if you don't take on such
complicated projects when you folks are "expecting" any minute! I don't
know why it is that pregnant women get a "bad rap" for hormonal behavior,
when I've seen so many men do inexplicable things while awaiting the birth
of a child. Fortunately, I no garden to speak of in 1970 when my son was
born, so there was nothing for hubby to do to the garden. My mother,
however, was not so lucky -- in 1957 my father unilaterally decided to "do
her a favor" by replanting some 8' holly trees that he thought my mother
(who majored in horticulture at Penn State) had planted too far from the
house! (Boy, was he lucky that those hollies survived!)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh