Old 24-01-2003, 06:26 PM
madgard

Default Oh But For Spring To Come (long)

SUPERB!!!!!!! (((((((((((((((((((huge Maddie HUG))))))))))))))))))))))
madgardener
"LeeAnne" wrote in message

Allow me to vent and/or dream . . .

Man oh man is it stinking cold up/down/over here in New England (depending
on where*you* are reading this from). I'm bummed that there is too much snow
on the localpond -- this would have been THE BEST winter for skating in,
well, I don't know howmany years!! Don't get me wrong -- I love snow, but
now it's not even shovelable (isthat a word?? lol) to clear off a spot to
skate. It's sooooo cold out. The coldest sincethe late 1800's they are
saying, so much for global warming and El Nino!!!

Hooray for the Farmer's Almanac, they nailed it right on (as they do 99.9%
of the time Ibelieve) and I guess we are to be on the lookout for a summer
full of thunderstorms -- Ilove thunderstorms!

Being from New England and loving New England you'll not hear any serious
complaints outof me. I am, however, longing for the peek of the crocus thru
the snow and the birds tobe coming back for the summer in my yard -

orioles, mockers and catbirds, hummers, various flycatchers, and the mystery
ones that Ionly hear in the woods or barely catch a glimpse of. Every year I
seem to see something new asI add new plants or more water or different
foods.

I want to put my trellis back up and let the moon flowers, trumpet vine and
morning gloriescrawl their beautiful way up and over it. I want to unfreeze
my bird splashing pooland see if the frozen frog will come back to life
(seriously doubt it, but it will be interesting), Iwant to go buy pansies
and salvia and other small annuals for the front row that add theINSTANT
gratification of color. I want the giant lilac bushes to bloom so I can
smelltheir heavenly scent - even if it is short lived it's very worth it.

I want to pick fresh raspberries and, hopefully, grow some veggies this
year - cukes &zucchini for sure, we'll see about others. I want to battle
the Asian Lily Beetles, drowningthem in soapy water before they can destroy
what I call my tiger lilies. More milkyspore on the lawn for grub control -
however I welcome the skunks and flicker's tocome and make their bellies
full as well -- who cares if there are holes in the lawn, theyneed to eat
too!

I want the 'house shopping' Tree Swallows to come check the bluebird boxes
out in mybackyard again, one box was already taken by chickadees who didn't
take too kindly tothe, um, visitors poking their heads into the hole, lol.

The other box was a bit of a different style and the swallows were not
interested in it - so Ibought another like the one they did like and I'm
keeping my fingers crossed for this year. Igot to stand in my backyard and
watch those two beautiful, sort of iridescent, birds fly lowand slow in
great circles around the yard, sometimes coming within just a few feet of
me-- I was crouched by a wall. It was like a great bird ballet. And, of
course, I'd beoverjoyed if bluebirds actually took up residence in the boxes
named for them. Maybe I'llput up a couple more and see what happens.

I'll take baby chickadees though, they are adorable.

I'm hoping I still have coyotes in the 'hood as I had NO issues with
woodchucks last year forthe first time in many many moons. Love those
coyotes! But I'm sure my neighborswon't be too happy if their cat gets
nabbed - that's why my Max stays indoors.

I love the seasonal changes winter, spring, summer and fall bring me here -

but it's time for a change NOW gosh darn it :-) The days are getting longer
.. . . hoo-freakin'-ray!

Thanks for listening, Happy Friday everybody!

LeeAnne

--

------

If you're an insomniac, agnostic, dyslexic do you lay awake at night
wondering if there is adog?

-----