Old 08-05-2003, 12:20 PM
blorefan

Default Landscape

"Baine Carruthers" wrote in message ...
Bain,

When I get some time today I will give you all the details. You being
a landscaper yourself can tell me if I am wrong in being upset.

Thanks
RP

I'm afraid some of these issues you don't have much to stand on.

Staking trees is not generally recommended, but there are exceptions. You
did not say what kind or size trees were planted. If you wanted them staked
or you thought that important, you should have specified that to begin with.

Yellowing of gardenias is very common and caused by many many factors.
Applying ironite is just a bandaid and will do nothing for the real problem.

I don't know about overpayment. $4000 does not seem unreasonable for a
residential job. I've done 1/2 acre jobs that ran over $100,000.00.

I believe there is 2 sides to this story and to be fair to your landscaper,
you should probably offer more details. You obviously don't mind trashing
his reputation. I don't know why you should feel "stupid" for overpaying.
I see people every day overpaying for many different things. Most seem
proud of it.

Baine

"blorefan" wrote in message
om...
I was trying to avoid mentioning all the mistakes he made since it
makes me look
rather stupid since I overpaid. Well here it goes,
Apart from the weed problem, he planted 5 trees which he did not stake
to the ground so now they are swaying all over the place and am afraid
will break if we have forceful winds. He planted Kleim's gardenia in
the front (facing East) which gets full sun for atleast 6 hours and
two of the plants are already yellowing. I used Ironite since I read
some thing about Gardenia's needing a lot of iron. Well in any case
that seems to be working so far but am not sure if it will hold up.
I expected a lot more for $4000. Regarding mulch, he used the
cheapest pine straw mulch you can ever get. There was more pine
cones, leaves, twigs than pine needles. My yard looks like a big dump
with green buses sticking out of them.
I will call Garden Creations. Thanks for your suggestions Penny.

RP

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message

. com...
Did he do a bad job in design or are you upset about the weeds? If it's
design related, you can contact Garden Creations (Kendra Douros) at
819-8814. She is a landscape designer who does consultation, drawings,
installation, etc.

As far as the weeds are concerned, I have to say that spraying weeds to

kill
them doesn't necessarily guarantee that you won't get lots more. We

have
the perfect conditions for weeds to come in groves right now .......warm
weather and lots of wet weather. My yard is sprouting everywhere right

now
even after spraying and pulling all in March. You will have to spray

again.
Did he mulch the areas very well?

Spring is the time for new growth on everything .....trees, flowers, and
lots of weeds.

Penny
"blorefan" wrote in message
om...
Hi!! Can anybody suggest a good landscape designer in the trianlge
area. I hired one from Apex recently and he ripped me off (paid close
to $4000). He was very knowledgeable with the plants native to this
area and promised low maintenance landscape so I hired him. He did a
very poor job. All the beds that he supposedly sprayed with weed
killer are sprouting already (the beds were planted on Apr 19,2003).
I would appreciate your help.

Thanks