Old 08-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Lisa

Default Determining Proper Flow From Biofilter - Chooseing biofilter size???????

Hi. I'm confused about this....

1. How do you determine the proper flow rate through a biofilter to
calculate say a water change once per hour or say twice per hour?

2. If you have say an 1800 gph pump moving your biofilter.... Does
the resulting spillover SPEED/VOLUME from the biofilter/waterfall to
the pond, vary with the size of the filter tub?

I.e.; if I have an 1800 gph pump. Would I have a different
Rate/speed/volume OUT of the waterfall if I have a 35 gallon bio vs. a
70 gallon?
Would I have a wimpier waterfall with a 70 than a 35?

I'm debating about making a biofilter out of a garbage can (or
similar) vs. a 70g rubbermaid stock tank. I am worried the 70g tank -
because of having more water in it - would dissipate the action of the
pump/waterfall.

I hope my question makes sense even if it might be a stupid question?