Old 08-05-2003, 06:20 PM
John Rutz

Default Determining Proper Flow From Biofilter - Chooseing biofilter

Lisa wrote:
Hi. I'm confused about this....

1. How do you determine the proper flow rate through a biofilter to
calculate say a water change once per hour or say twice per hour?

2. If you have say an 1800 gph pump moving your biofilter.... Does
the resulting spillover SPEED/VOLUME from the biofilter/waterfall to
the pond, vary with the size of the filter tub?

I.e.; if I have an 1800 gph pump. Would I have a different
Rate/speed/volume OUT of the waterfall if I have a 35 gallon bio vs. a
70 gallon?
Would I have a wimpier waterfall with a 70 than a 35?

I'm debating about making a biofilter out of a garbage can (or
similar) vs. a 70g rubbermaid stock tank. I am worried the 70g tank -
because of having more water in it - would dissipate the action of the
pump/waterfall.

I hope my question makes sense even if it might be a stupid question?

-- no it doesnt matter if its 5 gal or 500 gal it all depenmds on the
amount the pump puts out, for instance you put 100 gal in you will get
100 out once the container fills, etc

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico
If it can't be fixed with bailing wire or duct tape
its not worth fixing

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com