Old 08-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Anne Lurie

Default where can one buy new or used railroad ties

As Bryan pointed out, railroad ties are a big no-no because of the creosote;
I thought I recently read that they are no longer available because of the
ecological damage potential.

I'll mention another drawback, based on my experience with the ones I have
(here when we bought the house): they deteriorate from freezing & thawing
(at least, I assume that's why). I'm having particular problems with some
that were used to create steps, one of which is now an "ankle-breaker"
(fortunately, we don't use those steps), and I'm going to remove them as
soon as I can convince my hubby to help me.

Does anyone have any disposal suggestions for the ties? I assume that
burning them is out of the question due to the toxic stuff that would
generate, and I can't imagine that the tree debris landfill near me would
take them.

Anne Lurie

"MFA" wrote in message
. com...
I need about 30 to outline some flower beds and garden.And does anyone

know
about what they cost.Thanks