Old 09-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Rich Conley

Default Breeding Cichlids in an outdoor pond...

I'd try somethin like yellow labs. They are cheap..so if you lose them....its
not a huge issue, and you can ALWAYS get rid of fry...not like convicts...who
you have to pay people to take..

Madd Hatter wrote:

I think that is pretty sound advice. I've kept Texas cichlids before. They
breed at a pretty small size.. Mine were under 3" (inc. the male!) When they
spawned for the first time... Unfortunately I needed space for my africans
so I ended up getting rid of the adults. And the fry.... well, we won't talk
about the fry.. how about the Jaguar cichlid? I've always found them to be
amazing fish, but they are absolutely insane in aquariums. They tend to want
to kill everything. I figure I should have a lot of room in that pond
(approx. 700GAL range) and I plan on planting as heavily as I can... DO you
know if they can take the temperature? Most sites list the range from about
68/70 all the way up to 75.
"ajames54" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 May 2003 20:35:39 GMT, "Madd Hatter"
wrote:

I hope so, cuz I jus finished digging!... Can you recommend any good

cichlid
candidates to stick in there? America's or Africa... So far, I'm

considering
The Jewel Cichlid, Convicts, Jaguar Cichilds and maybe Oscars. Might add

really annoying Acei pair (7.5"+) later in the summer...

I've bread Jewels and Oscars in tanks and probably would not want
to try them in an outdoor pond... Convicts are supposedly easy to
breed... to be honest I think I would start out with Texas
Cichlids until I was sure my temps would support others..