Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Larry Dighera

Default Pollinating Reed-Stem Epidendrums (Small Flowers).

On Fri, 9 May 2003 05:45:04 -0400, "Ray @ First Rays Orchids"
wrote:

Larry,

I don't know if this will help, but I tried literally for years to make a
particular paph cross that would never "take." Then someone older and wiser
than I (that first part seems to be getting a lot tougher to achieve than
the second) suggested mashing the pollinia on a piece of waxed paper with
the toothpick before proceeding.

My first post-mash trial worked.

Maybe such a technique will allow you to handle smaller fragments.

Thank you for this information, Ray. It seems nonintuitive, but if it
works, I'm game to give it a try. Have you any idea of the biological
mechanism involved that facilitates difficult crosses?

My apprehension about this technique is that it would result in many
ruptured gamete cells spilling their nutritive contents and inviting
the growth of opportunistic bacteria and/or fungi. Apparently you
didn't find that to occur. And it doesn't seem to occur naturally on
the exposed stigmatic surface either. I would be curious to know what
prevents such contamination growth.

At any rate, if it works, I'll give it a try. Thanks.