Old 09-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Sticky Leaves Help

In article ,
Josey wrote:

We have a plant in our conservatory. Not sure what it is exactly, other than
probably not an umbrella plant, because that's what we call it. Parasol
Plant maybe.

Anyhow it was fine in the previous house for 8 years, but for the last 2
years it's developed *very* sticky leaves. It creates a circle of sticky goo
on the floor around the plant. The leaves are covered on the surface with
the sugary-like substance, and it is in nodules under the leafs.

Any idea whats wrong and how to stop it being sticky?

I am not going to look at your picture on dial-up, but the answer is
a sap-sucking pest. If you can't see it, and the leaves tend to go
mottled yellow, it is probably red spider mite. The best solutions
are to spray with soft soap, washing-up liquid and methylated spirits
or even just water (but that only discourages them).

You can also get a parasite for the parasite - phytoseiulus, but that
is more a solution for an infested conservatory full of plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.