Old 09-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Larry Dighera

Default Pollinating Reed-Stem Epidendrums (Small Flowers).

On 9 May 2003 11:42:59 -0700, (jimwatts) wrote:

When I work with equitants, I often use the .5mm pencil lead. I have
the pencil with me since I'm noting the crosses and dates, it is
smaller than a toothpick, and releases fairly easily. Pencil also
works with the small Chiloschista and even vanda and other large
pollen types.

I can see where non-absorbent graphite pencil lead might release
easier than an absorbent wooden toothpick. I'll give it a try.

For Microcoelia, I used a straight pin. When wetting it with
saliva, just be sure to put the pin sideways, not straight in your
mouth or you may end up puncturing your tongue. Not sure what effect
that will have on pollination, but it did complete the "blood sweat
and tears" trilogy, *G*.

jimwatts

Do you use any magnification when pollinating?

It's reassuring to note that even veteran orchid breeders experience
the 'Blood, Sweat, and Tears syndrome when pollinating. I thought it
was reserved exclusively for novices. :-)

Many thanks for the information, Jim.