Old 10-05-2003, 07:08 AM
LeighMo

Default 10gal. or smaller planted tank?

Can it be possible to have a planted tank which is 10gals or less(2.5gal)?

Yes, it's possible, but it's difficult. See Amano's second book. It features
small planted aquariums, many under a gallon!

But it's a lot of work. You have to choose plants and fish very carefully.
You may also find that you need a lot more light per gallon than you would in a
larger tank.

What kind of lighting and chemicals should I use to keep the plants healthy
and thriving?

It depends on what kind of tank you want. If you want an Amano-style tank,
you'll need to inject CO2. And you may need 8 watts per gallon or more of
light.

Can aragonite sand be used in such a tank(how much)?

Generally, inert sand -- silica sand -- is preferred for freshwater tanks.

What about compatible fish for the planted tank?

Your choices will be very limited with such a small tank. Amano uses rasboras
and neon tetras in his smallest tanks. Amano shrimp and otocinclus for algae
control. But I'd be really hesitant to keep fish in such a small tank.

What kind of light should I use if I go with the 2.5gal? Can one of those
daylight fluorescent bulbs fit in the 2.5gal hood?

If you want a high-tech planted tank, you'll need power compact flourescent
lights.

What plants do you recommend that I should start with?

It really depends on whether you decide to go with high, moderate, or low
light. In any case, your small tank will dictate your choices. Small-leaved
plants will look a lot better in a small tank. And some plants simply get too
large to be kept in a 2.5 gallon tank.

I was thinking for livestock if I go with the 2.5gal. some fancy guppies or
neon tetras or two angels

No way can you keep angels in a tank this small. I wouldn't even keep them in
the 10 gallon tank. They get to be 8" high. They need deep tanks -- 24" or
so.

I wouldn't keep guppies in such a small tank, either. Guppies are active fish,
and need room.

I was told that aragonite sand can make the water too alkaline? will it make

it so, even if I wash the sand?

Yes. Aragonite is for sal****er tanks. Washing won't help, because it's the
sand itself that dissolves, making the water alkaline. Use silica sand
instead.

And if you are new, I really, really recommend you go with the 10 gallon tank.
The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain. A small tank is very
unforgiving of mistakes.

If you do go with a 2.5 gallon tank, I recommend keeping just one Betta
splendens in it. It won't mind the cramped quarters.

Leigh