Old 10-05-2003, 07:44 AM
jimwatts

Default Pollinating Reed-Stem Epidendrums (Small Flowers).

Larry Dighera wrote in message
Do you use any magnification when pollinating?

I used a 8x slide magnifier as a monocle when pollinating the
Microcoelia, LOL. *VERY* low tech, but it worked! If you want to see
the size of microcoelia pollen, the picture at
http://forum.theorchidsource.com/b.a...366&archive=no
shows the pollen on a straight pin. I had removed the blood first,
*G*!!
Out of 9 flowers pollinated, none took. I don't think they are self
sterile, I think I just goofed or the flowers were too old. I waited
too long I think, but I was hoping it would last til the judging
session. Of course, the flowers started fading a couple days before
judging, *sigh*. Next time it blooms, I'll pollinate it rather than
worry about awards!! But at two weeks, Microcoelia last longer than
the Taeniophyllum which fade after one day!

jimwatts