Old 10-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Kayakkhan

Default Stepping stones and plastic liners --query

Not quite what I needed, but an interesting site though...thanks

Mal

"jammer" j@mmer wrote in message
On Fri, 9 May 2003 14:43:12 +1000, "Kayakkhan"
wrote:

Hi,
I'm digging my pond with a view to having stepping stones across as an
entrance to my house.
Can anyone advise me as to the best method to mount stepping stones given
that they will of necessity be resting on a plinth which will obviously
then be sitting on the plastic liner.
I don't envisage a column of tanks rolling across it but clearly people

will
be stepping on the stones putting pressure on the liner.
I had thought to place several layers of scrap liner beneath the plinth

as a
buffer but would really like some practical ideas.
Thanks
Mal

I am not completey sure i understand the question but here, i found
this.

http://waterfeatures.tripod.com/bridgesandsteps.htm

Stepping-Stones

Stepping-stones are a convenient way to cross a pond or stream, but
are not as visually obtrusive as a bridge. They can either lead all
the way across the pond, or simply a few feet out into it for
observing or feeding fish. For formal ponds, you can use square or
rectangular cast-concrete stepping-stones or slabs, large quarry tiles
or similar geometric masonary units. Usually these are suported by
piers of mortared brick or concrete blocks. For informalponds, you
might use irregularly shaped flat rocks or flagstone, placed in a
random pattern. If the pond is shallow enough, you might be able to
use large rocks or stone slabs set directly in the pond. Otherwise,
build up a layer of mortared flat rocks, or construct piers of poured
concrete, brick or block to support the stones. Stepping-stones
usually look best if staggered in a zig-zag or random pattern across
the pond, rather than in a straight line. Place the stones close
enough together so that people can walk without hopping, and make sure
the stones are large enough to provide a stble footing. The surface of
the stones should be high enough above the water so that they stay
dry. This will help keep algae and moss from growing on the surface of
the stones, which could make the stones slippery.