Old 11-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Shiva

Default problem with my roses-need help

Me wrote:

My rose plants have not been producing good roses this year. It looks

like they are brownish on the outside.

My roses look like this when they had a bacterial infection called
Botrytis. I had more of it when I did not spray for fungus. Since I began
using the systemic Orthenex recommended to you, I have not had any
botrytis. I cannot explain why, since Orthenex is a combination
insecticide and fungicide. Some say that there is a higher incidence of
Botrytis in roses that are not protected from insects and fungal disease,
because the injuries caused by both help facilitate the bactierial
infection. If you use Orthenex, keep your spray on a coarse setting (not
fine, which is too easy to breathe) and wear long sleeves and gloves and
eye protection. A respirator cannot hurt--but the main danger of this
stuff is getting it in your eyes or on your skin in its concentrated form.
I use Latex gloves bought at the grocery store for 10 for a dollar and
standard garden goggles. Orthenex works very well here in swampy NC.