Old 12-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Theo Asir

Default buds are starting to swell

portland roses and would like to use a few. Anyone care to comment on
the hardiness of Rose de Rescht,

Spots. but very vigorous. Self recovery.

Rose du Roi,

Louise Odier,

This is one tough rose.
I planted it as a twiglet last may.
It is now a 5'x7' monster that
even the rabbits fear to approach.
It is absolutely smothered w/ hundreds of
blooms right now. must take picture.
Spots but self recovers.

Reine
Victoria, Mme. Pierre Oger, Souvenir de la Malmaison, or Mme. Isaac
Pereire? I'd like to combine some of them with some Noisettes and
various Austins.

Very few Noisettes can deal w/ Z6 cold.
I grow a Alfred Carriere in a very protected
location but even then it has serious die back.

Are there any China roses that I could grow that far
north (zone 6)?

Hermosa is a tough Chinese rose you could try.
Also Dave grows Old Blush in Z6. I'm trying
it myself.

Of course, all this is still very much in the dreaming
stage so the whole idea could change drastically in the next four
months. I'm getting the space ready to plant next spring (although some
things may go in this fall).

I've found that summer is a good time to dig and amend the soil
to get it ready for fall. I've also done some summer planting
w/ a white cloth solar topi.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City