Old 12-05-2003, 11:32 PM
J. Del Col

Default buds are starting to swell

(Shiva) wrote in message news:294a9e02ddf133d933bf36d4b9a39a0e@TeraNews.. .
On 12 May 2003 07:23:36 -0700,
(J. Del Col)
wrote:

(Shiva) wrote in message news:ab668d46207d2c24d753eed8680597c2@TeraNews.. .
On Fri, 09 May 2003 03:39:20 GMT, "Jane"
wrote:

Hi all, I finally have some swelling buds here in Maryland 6b

Jane, I really have lost all perspective on the differences between NC
and MD climates and growing seasons. My first flushes are finished,
some roses are beginning their second, and my bare roots are budding
and showing some color.

BTW--the mosquitos have been out for at least two weeks. It's all a
trade off!

R.primula opened the season here in Philippi, WV about April 1. A
few days later R. xanthina started blooming. Both are finished now,
but R. moyesii, Harison's Yellow and R. parviflora have begun blooming.
Unfortunately, high winds yesterday and today have stripped petals off many blossoms.

Hmm, so you are about on par with us. I would have thought you were
cooler there, and so a bit behind. I assume you are in the mountains,
or perhaps in a nice valley between mountains? I was in the New River
Valley last spring, and have never seen anything so beautiful this far
east. It was in VA but very close to TN and WV.

We are on a hill overlooking the Tygart Valley River. That probably helps a
bit as far as the microclimate goes.

BTW. That R. parviflora I mentioned is actually R. centifolia parvifolia.
I keep thinking it is parviflora because of its small garnet flowers.

J. Del Col