Old 13-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Theo Asir

Default buds are starting to swell

"R & L Porter" wrote in message

"Theo Asir" wrote in message
news:fa7fc2a257e20aa06ba2579241ce1075@TeraNews...

Very few Noisettes can deal w/ Z6 cold.
I grow a Alfred Carriere in a very protected
location but even then it has serious die back.

Sorry to hijack another thread, but Theo, tell
me about your Mme. Alfred experience. How
much protection, dieback, etc..?

I planted Mme. Alfred C. & Sombreuil last
year in july after all our exchanges.

Som. died in me. Twice.
Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

But AC lived and grew to a respectable 4'.
Its inside my back yard fencing. This particular
area saw -13F tempretures this year. Its against
a wooden fence that cuts down the cold winds a bit.
I did not give it any protection on the reasoning
that nothing else in my garden was getting
any protection and I wanted merit to prevail.

This March when everything else started growing again
I noticed only 2 of AC's canes showed signs of life.
The other three canes gradually blackened and fell away.
The two canes that survived were strapped to the wood fence.
They had about 6" of tip damage.

Guess I need to strap all canes to the fence.
It has just about finished its first flush
and there are about 4 georgeous basals
bursting from it.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Laura -- I apologize if we have talked about this
before. I am getting deja vu.

That OK. This is my spring retual anyway.
Counting the losses. Learning what works
and tinkering tinkering tinkering...