Old 14-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Fran Wagstaff

Default New Azalea Question

I do believe the Azalea I'll be attempting to propogate may be the
same variety as you are speaking. Someone mentioned a little more
detail may help in answering your question. Since I think we have the
same type, here's a description of mine.

My Azalea has multiple stems coming from the ground, and they all
raise into the air having a mushroom shape right now. I guess "top
heavy" would be a good descriptor. Of course, since I've never trimmed
the big guy, that probably explains the shape! The color of mine is a
pale pink (or was, since right now those blooms are yellowing and
falling to the ground), and has a new growth of leaves emerging. The
last couple of weeks, the pink buds were in full bloom, but it started
turning over this past weekend. As for the height, at it's tallest
point, it's about midway my first floor windows. As for width, it's
almost the entire the length of my 4 door sedan, which is always
parked beside the Azalea.

Like you Anne, it's placed between two other shrubs, also large, and
restricted by the driveway and the house. I, too, can't help but
wonder how large this plant could become. As noted earlier, I have a
vision of these huge pale pink Azaeleas along the back of my property.
Considering the size of this one, I'm thinking several of them would
make a beautiful hedgelike fence. Now, I'm wondering, how far apart
should I plant (once those cuttings are ready to go into the ground)?
If the size of the mother plant is any indication, I'm thinking a
minimum of 6 feet!

Fran

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message . com...

My question: could anyone point me toward a source for identifying these
monsters? I'm apparently doing something right as far as maintaining them,
but I'd like to get an idea what they might be. Right now, these things are
taller than I am; I'd guess that they could grow 3 or 4 feet a year (based
on what they have done in the past, including last year's drought).

Just for fun -- and because I'm constantly trying to find reasons to have
less grass to mow -- I'd like to try planting an azalea of this type
(moving either of these is out of the question unless MacDaddy wants to pay
me to take it away), just to see what it could do if it actually had some
space to call its own!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh