Old 14-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Velvet

Default do heavily-planted tanks still get "old tank" syndrome?

"Bob Alston" wrote in message
.. .
Many experts recommend regular water changes in planted tanks to help the
plants grow well. I have angels in a 55 gallon heavily planted tanks and

do
a 40-50% weekly water change. Both plants and angels thrive in this.

Bob

--
Bob Alston

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/
"Duncan A. McRae" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

Then again, I have a heavily planted tank, been running for about a year now
(I think) - about a 23gallon. Pair of angels (not paired, just two of them)
and assorted other smaller fish (probably a bit over the stocking guidelines
now they've grown). I do a water change of about 25%, every couple of
months. Have an eheim external cannister filter on the tank, feed fish
plenty, small amounts of CO2 on fairly variable schedule (ie, bell chamber
doesn't get filled every day), occasional plant fert, plain tiny-sized
gravel substrate, none of that flouritey stuff :-)

Tank now has the appearance of a more 'mature' setup, imo. Plants growing
steadily, but not rampantly as they were shortly after set-up. Everything
seems to have settled to a steady equilibrium. Snails population varies
dependant on type - some types seem to peak, then throttle back as another
one peaks. They don't do any noticeable damage to the plants, I think they
prefer to feed on uneaten fish food that makes it to the bottom, and algae
that attempts to grow on the glass.

I'm amazed at the health of the tank given the water changes are so
infrequent. I'm guessing it must have reached a steady state where the
plants take care of the nitrate for me, and there's enough fish to provide
for the levels of plants I have in there. Had a few bouts of algae in the
first few months after set up, but not seen any for quite a while now. No
fish losses through disease or anything else, either.

Tank looks a bit more on the 'wild' side than 'prettily landscaped' - but
the fish are all happy with it like that, so I just trim back what gets
excessive every so often.

Velvet