Old 16-05-2003, 10:08 PM
torgo

Default Double Delight

Mine's now putting out buds for it's second flush of blooms. I
transplanted it after the first wave, so it needed a little extra time
before it "reloaded".

I've seen some big differences between pictures of DD. At first, mine
tends to be white (not yellowed) in the center with a small red ring
around the outside. As it ages, the red spreads toward the center,
bleeding into the white.

(Shiva - if you get a chance to see this one first (rather than mail
ordering) and make sure that particular plant's blooms don't turn too
pinkish in the later stages, DD will give you incentive to finally
kick Mr. Lincoln out of the bed. The fragrance is superb, and the
bush is more vigorous in form than Mr. L. I'm also testing out a
Black Baccara. I know nothing at all about it, but I think it's
supposed to be a dark red, sort of like Oklahoma. We'll see. If it
ends up suitable for a fragrant red bed, I'll let you know.)

On Fri, 16 May 2003 09:40:02 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

My bare root from J&P has begun to bloom. Absolutely incredible rose
with an amazing fragrance. Only drawback I've seen so far is that the
blooms don't last very long when cut. This won't be a concern to me
next year when both of my DDs hopefully hit full stride. I just want
the blooms to last a little longer when they are still few and far
between. *smile*

I'm almost finished with the website reconstruction. Hopefully, I'll
get the rose section finished over the weekend. Once that's done, I'll
post the URL so you can see this beautiful rose.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu