Old 18-05-2003, 04:20 PM
bnd777

Default Need to improve large area of soil

Farmers, livery stables , Riding stables

"Mark Allison" wrote in message
34.3...
Hi,

I have a heavy clay soil - I live one mile away from the largest clay pit
in the world, in fact it was featured on Flying Gardener on Friday night.
The location is Houghton Conquest, Bedfordshire.

Anyway, I have a rectangular area of land to improve measuring 25m x 5m.

So
in all that's about 125 square metres of land. I intend to buy some
horticultural grit and the largest pile of muck you ever seen. Question is
where should I get a large quantity of my required substances? I reckon I
need at least a ton of grit, and I'm having trouble sourcing a large
quantity of manure at the moment. The land will be used mainly to produce
vegetables and herbs next year, I'm spending this year preparing the soil.

Any hints appreciated!

A view of my plot can be seen he
http://www.markallison.co.uk/garden/garden.gif

--