Old 18-05-2003, 10:56 PM
bnd777

Default Need to improve large area of soil

You can also get spent hops from breweries
and many Sewerage companies were happy to deliver dried sewerage free
.........dont know if this has been stopped but i know someone who used lorry
loads of it on his clay soil and he grew all his own veg
Lots of carpet shops dump old carpet outside

"Mark Allison" wrote in message
34.3...
Hi,

I have a heavy clay soil - I live one mile away from the largest clay pit
in the world, in fact it was featured on Flying Gardener on Friday night.
The location is Houghton Conquest, Bedfordshire.

Anyway, I have a rectangular area of land to improve measuring 25m x 5m.

So
in all that's about 125 square metres of land. I intend to buy some
horticultural grit and the largest pile of muck you ever seen. Question is
where should I get a large quantity of my required substances? I reckon I
need at least a ton of grit, and I'm having trouble sourcing a large
quantity of manure at the moment. The land will be used mainly to produce
vegetables and herbs next year, I'm spending this year preparing the soil.

Any hints appreciated!

A view of my plot can be seen he
http://www.markallison.co.uk/garden/garden.gif

--