Old 18-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Dave Fouchey

Default How to Clean Creosote on Railroad Ties

On Sun, 18 May 2003 22:11:36 GMT, "James Eick"
wrote:

I just put in a lot of railroad tie steps in my sloped yard. I did this in
the winter (California) and now the sun is out and all the railroad ties are
oozing creosote. I tried cleaning with gasoline but the creosote just came
back and clean up was a mess. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean
them or possibly put some other material over them so I can use the steps?

Thanks - Jim

Creosote is forced into the timber under pressure to preserve the
wood, the only cure is time, and we are talking many many years here.

All the gasoline would do is wash off the surface, it would soon be
replaced by more creosote oozing to the surface.

You could try sand on them, not particularly scenic but workable.

Dave

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan