Old 26-01-2003, 05:46 AM

Default Re-Grading a Back Yard

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:08:58 -0500, "Billy"
wrote:

The house we are bought has a 100' x 100' back yard. The front portion is
one grade, the rear portion, 2' to 3' higher. A retaining wall with steps
separates the grade. The land has a slight negative pitch toward the house
as the terrain is not level. According to the home inspector, this is a bad
thing because water penetration is more likely.

We intend on removing several trees that exist on the higher grade and
leveling it to that of the lower grade. The knowledge that I'm seeking is
how to level the two grades and create a positive pitch away from the house
when the slope comes towards the home.

Has anyone done this type of work. Can you recommend any web sites that
would be helpful in understanding the process and the costs involved?

All I can do is add a cautionary note. You may want to get in a
professional for this. If you change the grade of your yard, and that
causes your neighbors trouble, you can be held legally responsible.
Or at least you can out here in California. So make sure when you do
your grading that the water that used to pool up in your backyard is
not pooling up in someone else's!

Rebecca