Old 19-05-2003, 02:11 AM
Jim Webster

Default Grass raised livestock

Michelle Fulton wrote in message
m...

"Old Codger" wrote in message
news:9F0U9.12412$4k6.1064127@wards...

America entered
these wars because America had come under attack

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?? I'm curious about common

opinion
on this subject....... I guess we (USA) are in a catch 22 kinda

position
because of our wealth and power. Half the time I hear people complain
because we are getting involved in stuff that's happening on the other

side
of the world, when it's none of our business and the rest of the time

I hear
people complain because we should be doing more to help them because

we have
all this wealth and power. What do all of you think we should do?????

I'm
really curious, not trying to rile anyone.

don't wory about it. You are in pretty much the same position as the
British Empire was at the turn of the last century.
Once you have wealth and power people automatically dislike you because
they haven't got it.
All you can do is what seems necessary at the time and not get hung up
on the worries and petty motivations of others.
It does strike me that the US is beginning to act like a great power. In
Vietnam you still wanted the world to love you, which is always a
mistake. Now with Iraq it looks like the US has got over that hang up
and is willing to do what it necessary.
Azimov in the foundation triology has the mayor say "never let your
conscience stop you doing what is right". (I probably paraphrase) It is
probably the only rule a solitary great power can follow.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'