Old 27-01-2003, 01:27 PM
Frogleg

Default Fast growing seed for science project

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 09:48:24 -0500, Ann wrote:

(Frogleg) expounded:

How many thousands of science projects have been done on this subject?
Seems to me a project ought to present some *new* hypothesis and
experimentation. Sounds as if your son's teacher may have said, "...or
you could start some seeds with different lights..." Why not question
the kid into thinking up some interesting variation on a tired old
theme?

Did you ever consider that itisn't a tired old theme to a young child?
The experiment is for him to learn and show, not impress the current
science world. While your suggestions are good ones, the theme of
using different kinds of lights is interesting, too. And hopefully
the child pulls it off well and gets a good grade.

You have a point. However, I'm thinking about a sort of scientific
method ideal, in which a more or less original thesis is proposed and
examined. Making a model of the solar system is new to a young child,
but isn't exactly an original thought. There are many ways something
old could be *made* interesting. And kids have interesting ideas. An
old idea could be presented as an advertisement, or with a humorous
slant. Even failures can be analyzed for presentation. I meant to
suggest a little stimulation to tap into some real interest or
question of the kid's. There's that annoying stage they all go through
of constantly asking "why?" They're endlessly curious. This is a time
to listen for the "whys" and suggest ways to pursue them.