Old 19-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Tony K

Default question about mom's Java Fern turning black

SlimFlem wrote:
My mom has a Java Fern in her 29 gallon tank. It's not a planted
tank by any means, it's just a little fish only tank with this plant
and some hair grass stuff from Petsmart.. Over the past 2 weeks, the
Java Fern has turned almost 3/4 black. It's not the normal look when
a spot on the leave turns dark and produces a baby plant...I mean
most of the leaves and the steam is turning black. I assume it's
dying, but wanted to check here first.

From the photo it looks as if the fern has been planted directly into
the gravel, I have always been told you must plant either in a rock
crevice or onto drift wood but never bury the rhizome as it will cause
the plant to rot. It seems to work for me but I have never tried to
plant it like a conventional plant so I'm not sure if the information i
received was correct or not.

The plant looks dead to me :-(