Old 07-02-2003, 01:09 AM
LeighMo

Default multipart question: planted malawi cichlid tank

the snails do look more clear than they originally did, what should I do to
add calcium to the tank?

You can add calcium carbonate, or crushed oyster shell...but if your tank is
low on calcium, the plants are the least of your worries. The water should be
hard in a Malawi tank.

Do you know the pH, GH, and KH of your water? Are you using anything in the
tank to raise the water hardness? A lot of people use coral sand or other
substrate that raises water hardness and pH. You can also put limestone rocks
in the tank as decoration.

I don't know how experienced you are with fishkeeping, but an African planted
tank isn't the easiest of tanks. I would say that most people who keep African
tanks don't keep plants. It's not impossible, but you should do some research
first. African tanks pose special challenges, some of which make it difficult
to keep plants, too.

Leigh