Old 13-02-2003, 03:55 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default when to fertilize? After water change?

Wow, I've been only dosing every water change (once a week). I've got about
33ppm C02 going right now with 2wpg in a 15 gallon wide (shallow tank).
Dosing say, every 2nd day or so wouldn't be too much iron?--algae spurts? I
guess I could test for iron levels every other day to actually see. I guess
we want chelated iron levels about what?--.3 to .35ppm?

Dave.

" wrote in message
om...
"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message

. ca...
I've been hearing some rumblings in this group about not fertilizing
(micronutrients -iron etc.) after a water change because the water

already
has these nutrients--maybe waiting a few days for the nutrients to be
absorbed would be better.

I've been currently fertilizing using Ferreal +spureal (iron & trace
elements) directly after every weekly 25% water change.

Any suggestions? Or am I doing it right.

Thanx alot for your help!
Dave.

There's typically not even close to enough micronutrients in tap
water.

If you use CO2 etc, try dosing 2-3x a week. I do it right after the
water change then once or twice more during the week till the next
water change. Sera are good products IMO.
You will need to add about 2-3x the recommended doses if you use CO2.
So rather than say 5mls weekly, add it 5mls 2-3x weekly.
Dosage stays the same but with more light/CO2 etc, the __frequency__
increases.

This makes sense due to increased plant growth therefore more uptake
and demand for more nutrients/CO2 etc.

Non CO2 tanks I don't use any water column fertilizers and don't do
water changes, just top off for the evaporation losses and feed a good
sized fish load.