Old 06-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Stuart Mueller

Default Snails

I am about to try my hand at breeding gouramis, and would like to add a few
snails to my fry tank, to help with keeping it clean, (I've read some
breeders do this) would MTS's be alright in a fry tank or will they eat the
fry? would Ramshorns be better, which ever one I add to the fry tank I want
to keep in my main tank initially!

Thanks

Stu

"Wilma Duncan" wrote in message
The Malaysian trumpet snails do not harm plants or fish. Great for

cleaning
and airing the substrate. Mystery snails are good also. See my web site
about info on snails.
Wilma
http://www.jayscustomcomputers.com/wilma/
"Stuart Mueller" wrote in message
. ..
Can anybody recommend what snails to have in my gourami tank. I am

thinking
trumpet snails. I want to avoid the apple snails as they sound like they

get
too big. As far as I've found out pond snails are a big no-no.

I think I have spotted a couple of Ramshorn snails in at the moment, I

took
one out yesterday, it had a dark brown shell in a tight curl, it wasn't
trumpet shaped but rather round and the snail was stuck to the front

glass.
However I have read that these relish hygrophilia, which I have quite a

bit
of =(

So the only other one I can get is trumpet, unless there is another

type.
do
the trumpet snails eat algae, or left over food? I know they burrow

through
the substrate.

What would you recommend?

Thanks