Old 13-02-2003, 10:36 AM
Iain Miller

Default Water Change?

"B." wrote in message
In a planted tank, exactly what percentage of water should be changed

every
week? Some say 10%, 25% i have even heard up to as much as 40%. I
currently do 10% of my tank once a week, but i was wondering...Is that
enough? If someone has an answer for me please let me know and the

reasons
behind that amount. ?Thank you.

Is your tank healthy & are your Nitrates under control? If the answer is yes
then don't worry about it!

I think the answer to that question varies depending on what you are trying
to achieve & what's in your tank (i.e. how heavily loaded it is). My answer
would be anywhere between the 10 & 40% depending on what's in there.

At the extremes there are those that hardly ever change water - indeed there
is a product out there (Easy Balance) that's supposed to ensure you only
have to do a water change every 3-6 months (sounds dodgy to me!). There are
also people who keep lots of Discus in bare tanks who change 100% of the
water every day (!)