Old 30-01-2003, 05:38 AM
daxo

Default Please Help Identify Tree Fern Species

Hi All,

Two days ago I picked up a young tree fern from an open market
on a trip through Northern California USA. It is too young to
have a trunk yet, but it is definitely a tree fern species,
it's crown is on the surface of the soil. I've narrowed it down
to either a Dicksonia (commonly called New Zealand) or a Cyathea
(commonly called Australian) tree fern, but the easiest way to tell
them apart, the trunk, is no help with this plant. Is there any
way to tell from the fronds or another way? All help will be
greatly appreciated, I'd like to label it correctly. Thanks.