Old 18-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Dave Millman

Default Scissors for cutting plants...

Bill Beam wrote:

Need to know what to use to trim my plants. Wife doesn't want me to
use the good scissors cause she thinks the water will rust them. I
tell her I would dry them but no go. Do I need to go to a fish store
and buy a special pair or can I just use something I can get a
Wal-Mart or an Arts-and-Crafts store? Thx

The key attributes for plant shears a

* SHARP
* Stainless steel

I bought a cheap drugstore pair labelled Stainless Steel. It was not-it
rusted within in weeks. Now I use a pair from the office supply store-no
rust in more than a year. Cost was $3.99.

I also have a long pair. These are of limited utility. The longer they
get, the more likely they are to twist when you try to cut a tough stem.
But they are valuable if your tank is deep.