Old 30-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Crabby Barnacle

Default dwarf vs. ultra dwarf fruit trees

Ask them what kind of rootstock each tree is grafted onto. The rootstock
type should indicate how large the tree will get, whether it will do well in
a pot,, on its own, or needs staking.

Crabby

"Me" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I went to several different nurseries today to look at small fruit trees.

saw one store advertise dwarf, and another advertising an ultra dwarf

orange
tree. I believe both were Washington Navel Oranges.
My question is, are they using different terminology for the same type of
tree or is ultra dwarf indeed smaller? I had never heard of ultra dwarf.

I'm looking for the smallest possible tree and am hoping which ever I buy
will grow in the pot I buy it in. My backyard is narrow and I don't have

the
room to plant it my soil. Will that work?

Thanks