Old 21-02-2003, 04:11 AM
LM

Default Scissors for cutting plants...

I have the same kit too (was on sale on drsfostersmith.com). I love the
tweezers, but I have a mixed feeling with the scissors. it is nice and
long, and has a curved cutting end, but it doesn't have a "real" blade! The
cutting surface is essentially a flat near-perpendicular corner, so it
really doesn't "cut" well. It's possible that my expectations on any
cutting tools are high since I have lots of high-quality shears I use for
outdoor gardening, etc, which has a tapered blade which makes it easier to
cut.

because of lack of a tapered blade, when I try to cut the sword plant stems,
it won't cut the stem unless you cut it using near the base of the
scissors.. at which I end up grabbing the gravel in the tank with the tip
and making it even harder to cut sometimes (hence I end up leaving a long
stump at the base of the plant...). When I try to cut near the tip (or 1/2
way closer to the tip than the base) it ends up twisting/bending the scissor
and warp the thing (had to un-warp it few times already).

If no one else has that problem, I wonder if I have a defective scissors...?
for cutting thin stalks and stuff it's ok for the most part...

linda

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I was given one of the Aquascaping Kits from Aquarium Landscapes.

Expensive
($34), but the tools are fantastic, especially the scissors. Find it here
http://www.fishvet.com/store/itemdet...09202001165813

I have that kit, too, and I really like it. I use it all the time, almost
daily. The scissors are good quality, and don't rust or slip. The

tweezers
are great for planting in tight spaces. The rake I don't use quite as

often,
but it comes in handy when my clown loaches decide to go excavating. (I

think
they were backhoes in their former lives.)

Leigh