Old 26-02-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Fertilizer Question

1) Is there ONE supplement which I can use which includes most of what the
plants needs?

Yamato green etc is one of the few simple all in fert's.
But it does not add light and CO2.

Plants need 3 basic things: light, CO2 and nutrients. Miss one of
these or get it out of balance, generally= algae.

While adding CO2 is not required, it sure helps a great deal.
For fert's:

KNO3 for NO3 and the extra K
K2SO4 for the K
KH2PO4 for the PO4.
Traces for the trace cations/anions

This give all the practical usage and are the main variables added.

You may need to add baking soda for KH if less than 3 and if the GH is
3 or higher, your okay with that. If not you can add a mix of
CaCl2(Calcium increasaer sold at pool stores sometimes) and
MgSO4(Epsom salt).

2) Also, I am kind of mad at myself for not researching enough on the
gravel. From what I read I should have used Flourite. I'm thinking of
replacing the gravel with it it, or at least mixing some in.
What do you think?
Thanks!

It will help a good deal. Plants will have better color, health and
root systems. Certainly worth the $ IMO/IME.

Regards,
Tom Barr