Old 01-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Craig Brye

Default How do you guys measure Stuff?

I take the simple method of measuring the parameters of my 29 gal. tank (130
watts of cf lighting and injected CO2) before I add chemicals. I then added
dry chemicals (for me it was a little over 1/4 teaspoon of KNO3, a small
pinch of PO4 [KH2PO4], and around 4-8mls of trace twice a week, and around
1/2 teaspoon of K2SO4 once a week) to the tank and do weekly water changes
of around 35-50% of the water. I then took measurements after adding
(usually about 6-12 hours later) the chemicals to see where the parameters
were (even if your tests aren't completely accurate, they should still
measure some increase in the corresponding chemicals in the tank). I took
in depth notes almost daily to see what was happening in the tank with
regards to plants and algae. I did this for a couple of months until I had
a pretty good routine down. Now I measure about 1-2 times a week to make
sure my parameters are in check.

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

"Aqua" wrote in message
* How do you MEASURE dosage of fertilizer elements for your tanks?
Chuck's site http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

gives
information about calculating elements. But if you consider dry measure
equivalent and the weight (mass) of 1 tablespoon of KNO3 is not equal to 1
tablespoon of K2SO4. [or 1 LB of K2SO4 is not going to be 16 oz of K2SO4]

* How do you dose KNO3 or other elements? You just drop one teaspoon of

KNO3
powder in your tank or mix it with water and pour it in?

* Or how do you measure 10 grams of KNO3? Do you all have scales to

measure
such a small quantity?
--
Thank You