Old 02-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Cricket

Default Leaf Mulch

Yea, time. If you either layer them over your garden in layers of 7 or
fewer inches or leave them in a pile and turn it every two weeks for three
months for good results I'd say.

On the other hand, if you can add something rich in nitrogen (such as goat
manure, chicken manure, green vegetation, etc) to mix in a 1:6 (nitrogen to
leaf) ratio by volume, then you'll be cooking with the pros.

That said, I strongly recommend against getting chemically treated grass
clippings or commercial grade chicken manure or anything else that was fed
something you wouldn't feed to your plants.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket

"Kurt" wrote in message
Hello,

I have access to tons (yards) of leaf mulch and would like to know what
additional additives are needed to make it useable for flower and

vegetable
gardens. Also, once the additional properties are added, would the

mixture
be useable right away.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion,

Kurt