Old 21-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Lesley Murray

Default adding laterite/flourite

I have seen Flourite for sale in Shirley Aquatics on the M42 near Birmigham
(you probably know of it).....I have two spare bags but you can't have
them - LOL. I purchased 6 bags and used 4 (7Kg each) for my 250L tank. Now I
did get it cheaper than normal retail price...but my substrate is 100%
Flourite and doing well. You can just mix it with other types of gravel if
you want to - its a fractured clay, but it doesnt act like clay at all (i.e.
it doesnt cloud your water like laterite does - but you do have to wash it
thoroughly). Seachem suggest 1kg per 200cm squared of tank. I am using 21Kg
for 100x50cm. Not that far off.

Seachem give these as retailers in UK (found from their web-site)

Clearwater Aquatics Leicester, Leics 01162743426
Fantasea LTD Mansfield, Notts 01623428100
Home Marine Quality Fish Center Enfield, Midlesex 02083674191
Kingston Koi Hessle Hull, Humberside 01482640329
Oasis Aqauarium Manchester 01618325836
Reef World Epsom Downs, Surrey 01737370777
Sevenoaks Tropical Marine Riverhead Sevenoaks, Kent 01732454190
Wet Pets Romford, Essex 01708744880
Wildwoods Water Garden Enfield, Middlesex 02083660243
World of Fishes E.Grinstead, W. Sussex 01342410636

There are retailers that deal with it and will import it but you just have
to ask around to see if your local dealer can get it. I believe my local
dealer got it from the same supplier as the Effect Line tank which is Casco.

I would suggest adding laterite now is too messy - it will really cloud the
water badly and it should be layered between substrates. As flourite is a
fractured clay gravel - it won't act like clays normally do and its easier
to add - you could strip out some of your gravel and then add the flourite
on top. I had to was mine about 7 times and it was still cloudy but with
more washing the cleaner it will be and therefore less messy when you add
it.

There

"Mark Trueman" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

As some readers may know, im re-doing my planted tank with a better co2
system etc. This re-hash of my tank will involve the removal of all

existing
plants due to a BBA infection and a major clean up job. I will then be
planting a whole new set of plants and running pressurised Co2 and PMDD.

What i would like to know is if it is worth adding laterite/ flourite to

my
substrate. Its an established tank so im not sure how difficult it would

be.
Ive read about people making laterite balls and putting them in the gravel
amongst other methods. I could possibly move all my fish to another large
container for a short period of time while remove all my current gravel,

add
the laterite and then replace the original gravel.

Would this be a good option or might it stress the fish? Is there a better
option? Do i need laterite/flourite at all? Which one is preferred? (i
assume its flourite). Will the dustiness of laterite affect the fish in

any
way.

Ive seen laterite at a LFS but not flourite. Anyone in the UK

(bedfordshire)
know where i can get some?

Cheers

Mark