Old 20-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Beecrofter

Default How to Clean Creosote on Railroad Ties

"James Eick" wrote in message ...
I just put in a lot of railroad tie steps in my sloped yard. I did this in
the winter (California) and now the sun is out and all the railroad ties are
oozing creosote. I tried cleaning with gasoline but the creosote just came
back and clean up was a mess. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean
them or possibly put some other material over them so I can use the steps?

Thanks - Jim

Do the same thing you would do for new asphalt- sprinkle coarse sand
on them.
You will track a lot less goo that way.
Barring that you could fasten 1" decking to the tops but that would
still leave the faces exposed.
Putty knife for the big blobs and then some sand would be my choice.