Old 23-02-2003, 09:18 PM
wigwack

Default tiger lotus rhizome/runners/????

Yep I concur,
My almighty great big thing has already had 3 babies....actually, I have
practically a whole tank of that plant now...but I like it very much.

The way to see it, I think, is that you will notice that you'll have a bunch
of certain sized leaves at the base that don't really get much bigger. Then
you can try gently pulling it away (sand as substrate is easy). It will
come away very easily if it is a separate plantlet.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
How does a tiger lotus plant "reproduce"? I don't know the correct
terminology, so pardon my language... Does it split at the rhizome? If
so, how do I know when or where it's ready to split? If not a rhizome,
then what does it do?

It produces short runners, with new plants at the ends of them. Sometimes

it
produces a new rhizome/tuber, but it's not necessary. You can transplant

the
new baby plant even if it doesn't have a tuber.

As for how to tell when it's split...it's not easy, because it all happens
underground. Sometimes you can see the runner, and a new plant that is

visibly
separate from the mother. But often, it just looks like one big plant,

until
you dig it up and find that it's six or eight smaller ones, really close
together.

They also produce flowers and seeds, but that's not the way they are

commonly
propagated in an aquarium. My Nymphaea has a flower stalk with a bud on

it
again, but I don't expect it to actually bloom.

Leigh