Old 21-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Shiva

Default Pics (including Double Delight)

On Tue, 20 May 2003 09:32:01 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

It's phlox. The phlox was there before DD and I had to clean some of it
out in order to get DD in the ground. It is right up under DD now well
within the dirp line. She seems to be fine with that.

This is really interesting. As you probably know, "conventional
wisdom" (whatever that is) has it that roses hate to share space with
any plants, or at least hate to compete for nutrients. If phlox are
okay growing right on top of the little white feeder roots of the rose
(and they are growing on them if they go under the drip line) then my
roses are in no danger if I don't weed for a while, I guess.

I am curious about companion plantings.

Both of my Blue Girls have alyssum planted directly under them.

I love what I have seen called "sweet alyssum." I would love to grow
it under my roses!

In
front (at the edge of the drip line) is dianthus and rocket snap
dragons. My mystery roses have bearded irises in front, grape hyacinth
underneath and somehting else that was planted by the previous owners
that I haven't bothered to identify yet.

We have similar tastes in non-rose plants. I love grape hyacinths,
too.

I tend to lean towards the cottage garden style with full beds. Partly
because it cuts down on weeds but also because I simply like the look.
My s.o.'s mother is always commenting to me that I need to thin the beds
because she obviously doesn't like the look. I find that interesting
since she is Irish, born in Ireland. *sgrin* My standard reply is that
I thin when the plants tell me they need to be thinned.

I find it interesting that she wants to tell you what to do with your
garden! I like the look.