Old 24-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Dave Millman

Default Fertilizer Question

Frank Mamone wrote:

I recently started a planted tank (25G). I added CO2.

I've been mostly lurking here and notice there's plenty of discussion on
additives for the plants. So far I'm just using chelated iron. I noticed it
is being used up everyday.

1) Is there ONE supplement which I can use which includes most of what the
plants needs?

Perhaps, perhaps not, because there are many variables including water, plant
load, fish load, lighting, and substrate. Some folks report doing well with
just Tropica Master Grow, which is a high-quality, high-price product from
Europe. If convenience is your sole objective, start there.

2) Also, I am kind of mad at myself for not researching enough on the
gravel. From what I read I should have used Flourite. I'm thinking of
replacing the gravel with it it, or at least mixing some in.

Flourite was the best single decision I've made in this hobby. Plenty of folks
have substrate challenges, I have none.