Old 21-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Kay Easton

Default water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls!

In article , Lynda Thornton
writes
Hi

I just received one each of these plants by mail order this morning and
wanted to make sure how best to plant them in my water barrel pond. I
understand that the water hawthorn is a deep water marginal, so should I
plant it in a basket and put it straight in at the bottom of the barrel?

yes

The water is probably between 12" and 18" deep, so will it be OK to go
straight in at that depth?

Use bricks to support it so its leaves are floating on the top. Then, as
it gets leaves with longer stems, gradually lower it.

Does it need stones in the bottom to stop it
floating about and how will the soil stay in the basket?

Shouldn't need stones once it's waterlogged. If it isn't already potted
up, use aquatic compost, which is especially low nutrient to save you
getting a lot of algae. The soil will stay in through gravity ;-) But
you could put a few small flat stones on top of the pot if you're
worried.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: