Old 21-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Theo

Default Correction] Coral maple

Sorry this silly mailer was saying it could not contact the provider and at the
same time mailed 4 times the same message
sorry again
Theo

Theo wrote:

Hi Nina hi everybody maple lovers
I need your science
My second coral bark maple is slowly dying back from the cuts of some upper
branches
they started very slowly getting black.
I was looking how would react and if maybe stop when reaching the nodes where
others twigs come out.. apparently one twig is looking wilt not neat not dead yet
which product should I use ?
Should I cut off the black part in the sound red bark ?
Thanks
Theo

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Sounds very much like Verticillium wilt to me.

The limp stems sounds like a root problem. It could be Verticillium,
or it could be something else, like compacted soil in the root ball.
Don't panic yet.

I've had it randomly
destroy 3 of my very best Maple varieties. Crimson Queen was 50% killed
off and the surviving part has now grown into an acceptable garden plant
in the subsequent five years. If the list agrees, I'd cut out well below
the affected areas and dispose of cuttings cleanly. Remember to
sterilise tools afterward.

Since Vert is a root problem, pruning isn't going to do much good.
Some trees, if in good health, and not stressed by drought, will
fight off the fungus themselves; susceptible or weak trees will die.

You should look at your tree's roots for signs of decay or soil
compaction. There is no good way to tell if you have Verticillium
without disfiguring the tree, so don't bother unless it's a goner.
But keep it away from other trees so you don't spread hypothetical
spores.

If the tree dies, get rid of everything: Tree and soil. Sterilize
the pot before using it again.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

--
How can You put trust in me if I do not trust in Me?
Theo