Old 25-02-2003, 03:35 AM
LeighMo

Default acrylic Tanks?

I would rethink that. The need for the contractor has little to do with the
law. The concern is that a 300 gallon tank (for example) will weigh in
excess of 3000 pounds (US). (water weighs over 8 pounds (US) per gallon,
plus filters, substrate, decor) Most frame houses cannot support this kind
of weight. If you put in a tank of that size in your home without consulting
professional advice, you're going to have a disaster.

Agreed. In fact, I would probably consult an expert for any tank over 125
gallons. At the very least, you'll want to place it against a load-bearing
wall (preferably in a corner), and across the joists, not along them.

Even if your house is on a concrete slab, there are limits. Every once in
awhile you hear about someone who thought they didn't have to worry about
weight because their house was on a slab. They put in a huge tank, and
everything's fine...until the slab starts to sink. Repairing that kind of
damage costs thousands.

Leigh