Old 22-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Rob Samples

Default Climbing roses on fences

I am a novice with respect to roses. I have a picket fence, 48" high,
around my backyard. I want to plant a climbing rose near the fence and
have it grow along the fence. My wife has the impression that a
climber planted like this will tend to grow over the fence and the
neighbors will see more blooms on the other side of the fence than we
will. What are your opinions on this? Must I have a trellis or
something similar next to the house or in the middle of the yard to
get full advantage of the blooms?

In a related question, an alternative location (side of my house) gets
about 6-7 hours of sun, but only morning sun. Is this sufficient for a
climbing rose?