Old 22-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Victoria Clare

Default water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls!

Lynda Thornton wrote in news:CIuhEiAGRTz+EwJ3
@btinternet.com:

Yes, I meant I would be putting the hyssop in a basket/pot first, I just
didn't make that clear! I am a bit confused though, because the rather
undetailed blurb that came with the plants said not to get the crown of
the marginal plant get too wet, and I've got it positioned now so that
the top of the pot is just below the waterline, so in that case the
crown of the plant is definitely getting wet. Is this a problem?

I don't know specifically for water hyssop, but personally I'd just keep an
eye on it and see how it goes on. If it starts to look sad, try standing
it on another brick.

Most watery plants tolerate varying levels as they have to put up with them
on the borders of natural ponds and in water meadows. As long as most of
the top is out of the water and the roots are soggy they seem to manage.

It may be that hyssop doesn't like having its top frozen in ice though -
which of course you won't be able to tell till it is too late.

Here's hoping someone else can give you advice specific to water hyssop.

I am sure your water hawthorn will adapt though. I failed to follow Kay's
cunning advice with mine and just dumped it ruthlessly into deepish water -
in a couple of days the stems had stretched up to the surface anyway and
this year it has had a lot of spidery little baby hawthorns.

Victoria